- Title Pages
- 1 Introduction
- Part I Are There Laws of Nature?
- 2 What Are Laws of Nature?
- 3 Ideal Science: David Lewis's Account of Laws<sup>1</sup>
- 4 Necessity, Worlds, and Chance
- 5 Universals: Laws Grounded in Nature
- Part II Belief as Rational But Lawless
- 6 Inference to the Best Explanation: Salvation by Laws?
- 7 Towards a New Epistemology
- 8 What if There Are No Laws? a Manifesto
- Part III Symmetry as Guide to Theory
- 9 Introduction to the Semantic Approach
- 10 Symmetry Arguments in Science and Metaphysics
- 11 Symmetries Guiding Modern Science<sup>1</sup>
- Part IV Symmetry and the Illusion of Logical Probability
- 12 Indifference: The Symmetries of Probability
- 13 Symmetries of Probability Kinematics
British Academy Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.