- Title Pages
- List of Plates
- Note on the Text
- 1 Introduction: The Passions and Philosophy
- 2 Passion and Action in Aristotle
- 3 Passion and Action in Aquinas
- 4 Post‐Aristotelian Passion and Action
- 5 Negotiating the Divide: Descartes and Malebranche
- 6 Mental and Bodily Passions Identified: Hobbes and Spinoza
- 7 Passion and Error
- 8 Dispassionate Scientia
- 9 The Value of Persuasion
- 10 Knowledge as Emotion
- 11 Conflicting Forces: The Cartesian Theory of Action
- 12 Deliberating With the Passions
British Academy Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.