- Title Pages
- Note to Paperback Edition 1990
- List of Rulers, Popes, and Patriarchs
- List of Maps
- I The Christological Problem in the Early Middle Ages<sup>1</sup>
- II The Iconoclast Controversy 726–843
- III The Age of Photius (843–886)
- IV Leo VI's Dilemma: Nicholas Mysticus and Euthymius (886–925)
- V The Patriarchate 925–1025: The Predominance of Constantinople
- VI Increasing Pressures on Constantinople and the Widening Gap 1025–1204
- VII The Effects of the Fourth Crusade 1204–1261<sup>1</sup>
- VIII Contacts: Failure and Achievement 1258–1453
- Chapter IX
- Bibliographical Note
- The Orthodox Church in the Byzantine Empire
- Oxford University Press
British Academy Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.