- Title Pages
- 1 Locating the Fault Line
- 2 Looking Forward from Archaic Rome
- 3 Adapting the Law in the Age of Cato
- 4 Ideological Flexibility
- 5 Life before Liberality
- 6 The Gracchi and the Failure of Collective Generosity
- 7 Crooked Generosity in the Late Republic
- 8 Cicero between Justice and Expediency
- 9 Sallust and the Decline of Reciprocity
- 10 Caesar’s Wicked Gifts
- 11 Atticus
- 12 Prying Worlds Apart
- 13 Seneca’s Philosophical Cure
- 14 Halfway to Modernity
- Index OF Quoted Works
- General Index
- Gift and Gain
- Oxford University Press
British Academy Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.