- Title Pages
- Chapter 1 Shovelling Out
- Chapter 2 Problems of Irish Poverty
- Chapter 3 Different Paths
- Chapter 4 Radical Nativism
- Chapter 5 A New Birth of Poverty
- Chapter 6 The Journey Continued
- Chapter 7 The Moment of Transition
- Appendix A Warning Out in Boston, 1745–1792
- Appendix B Paupers Removed from Massachusetts and Costs of Removal, 1837–1845
- Appendix C Persons Removed from Massachusetts by the Commissioners of Alien Passengers and Foreign Paupers, 1851–1863
- Appendix D Persons Removed from Massachusetts by the Board of State Charities, 1864–1878
- Appendix E Persons Assisted to Return, Removed, or Excluded from New York by the Commissioners of Emigration and the State Board of Charities, 1850–1890
- Expelling the Poor
- Oxford University Press
British Academy Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.