- Title Pages
- 1 Introduction
- 2 The “Urban” Thesis
- 3 Counting Romans and Christians
- 4 Counting the Jewish Population
- 5 Urban and Rural Relationships
- 6 Supposed Barriers to Christian Success in the Countryside
- 7 The Pre-Constantinian Evidence
- 8 Dismissing the Evidence of Christianity in the Countryside
- 9 The Country Bishop
- 10 Conclusion
- Appendix A The Numbers According to Ramsay MacMullen
- Appendix B The Numbers According to Rodney Stark
- Bibliography of Works Cited
- Who Were the First Christians?
- Oxford University Press
British Academy Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.