- Title Pages
- Notes for the Reader
- 1 Shinto in the Ancient Period
- 2 The Kami in Myth
- 3 The Coalescence of Early Shinto
- 4 Shinto during the Middle and Late Heian Period, Tenth through Twelfth Centuries
- 5 The Esotericization of Medieval Shinto
- 6 Medieval Shinto and the Arts
- 7 The Late Medieval Period
- 8 Early Edo-Period Shinto Thought and Institutions
- 9 Edo-Period Shrine Life and Shrine Pilgrimage
- 10 Shinto and Revelation
- 11 Shinto and Kokugaku
- 12 Shinto and the Meiji State
- 13 Shinto and Imperial Japan
- 14 Shinto from 1945 through 1989
- 15 Shrine Festivals and Their Changing Place in the Public Sphere
- 16 Heisei Shinto
- Appendix: Shrine Funding
- Selected List of Characters
British Academy Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.