- Title Pages
- List of Illustrations
- 1 Is Libation Sacrifice?
- 2 Iconographic Evidence
- 3 “Terribly Strange and Paradoxical”: Literary Evidence of Sacrificing Gods
- 4 “Divine Libation”: A Century of Debate
- 5 The Problem Defined and a Proposed Solution: Divine Reflexivity in Ritual Representation
- Introduction: Ritualizing Gods in Indo-European Religious Traditions
- 6 Zoroastrian Heresy: Zurvān's Thousand-Year Sacrifice
- 7 “Myself to Myself”: The Norse Odin and Divine Autosacrifice
- Introduction: The Special Interpretive Challenge of Divine Ritual in Monotheism
- 8 The Observant God of the Talmud
- 9 “God and His Angels Pray for the Prophet”: A Qurʾānic Paradigm
- Conclusion: “Religion of the Gods”
- Abbreviations and References for Catalogue
- Religion of the Gods
- Oxford University Press
British Academy Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.