- Title Pages
- Musical Examples
- The Power of Black Music
- Chapter 1 African Music, Religion, and Narrative
- Chapter 2 Transformations
- Chapter 3 Syncretization and Synthesis: Folk and Written Traditions
- Chapter 4 African-American Modernism, Signifyin(g), and Black Music
- Chapter 5 The Negro Renaissance: Harlem and Chicago Flowerings
- Chapter 6 Transitions: Function and Difference in Myth and Ritual
- Chapter 7 Continuity and Discontinuity: The Fifties
- Chapter 8 The Sixties and After
- Chapter 9 Troping the Blues: From Spirituals to the Concert Hall
- Chapter 10 The Object of Call–Response: The Signifyin(g) Symbol
- Chapter 11 Implications and Conclusions
- Printed Works Cited
- Sound Recordings Cited
- Films and Videotapes Cited
British Academy Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.