- Title Pages
- Chapter One Fantastic Rhythm: The Pittsburgh Years
- Chapter Two The Renaissance of Arranging: First Works for and with Duke Ellington
- Chapter Three The Strayhorn Effect: A New Way of Writing for Jazz Orchestra
- Chapter Four Thinking with the Ear: Strayhorn’s Musical Fingerprints
- Chapter Five Writing and Arranging Companion: Credited and Uncredited Collaborations
- Chapter Six “He Is He and I Am Me”: The Ellington-Strayhorn Collaboration
- Chapter Seven Wounded Love: Away from the Ellington Organization
- Chapter Eight Masterpieces by Strayhorn: Writing for Albums
- Chapter Nine The Whodunit Game: The Mature Style of Billy Strayhorn
- Chapter Ten North by Southwest: The Final Years
- Chapter Eleven Conclusion
- Appendix A Scores of Scores: Manuscripts at the Billy Strayhorn and Duke Ellington Collections
- Appendix B Billy Strayhorn’s Works on Record
- Appendix C Billy Strayhorn’s Works on Record (Posthumously Premiered)
- Appendix D Billy Strayhorn’s Compositions
- Something to Live For
- Oxford University Press
British Academy Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.