- Title Pages
- Note on Place Names
- 1 Hasidism in Central Poland, 1754–1830
- 2 Anatomy of a Hasidic Conquest
- 3 Warsaw and the Patrons of Polish Hasidism
- 4 Yihus
- 5 Charlatans or “Lovers of Israel”?
- 6 Sermons, Stories, and Songs
- Appendix 1 Yihus and Marriage Strategies of Early Zaddikim outside Central Poland
- Appendix 2 An Exorcism in Warsaw, 1818
- Appendix 3 Works by Hasidic Authors, through 1815
- Nineteenth–Century Newspapers and Periodicals
- Dissertations and Articles
- Medieval and Early Modern Sources
- Hasidic Texts: Homiletics, Hagiography, Correspondence
- Mitnaggdic Texts
- Haskalah Texts and Proposals for Jewish Reform
- Memoirs, Yizkor Books, and Travel Diaries
- Encyclopedias, Gazetteers, Biographical Dictionaries, and Genealogies
- Books and Journal Articles
Examples through 1815
- Men of Silk
- Oxford University Press
British Academy Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.