- Title Pages
- <b>The Polk Family Tree</b>
- Some Polk Slaves
- 1 A Market for Labor Power
- 2 Flight (I)
- 3 Flight (II) The Mississippi Plantation
- 4 Profit
- 5 The Nature of the Regime
- 6 The Spirit of Governance
- 7 Births and Deaths
- 8 Family and Community
- 9 Privileges
- 10 Polk’s Early Response to the Antislavery Movement
- 11 Texas and the Mexican War
- 12 Slavery and Union
- 13 Alternatives
- EPILOGUE: Slavery and the Civil War
- Appendix A Polk Plantation Demography, 1835–59
- Appendix B Capital Investment in the Polk Plantation, 1835–60
- Appendix C Profits from the Polk Plantation, 1835–57
- Select Bibliography
British Academy Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.