- Title Pages
- List of Illustrations
- Note on References and Abbreviations
- 1 Hardy and the ‘Dialect’ of the Tribe
- 2 Hardy and the New Philology
- 3 Word Status and Imitation in Hardy's Language
- 4 The Historicism of Victorian Philology
- 5 Hardy's Words and the Language of Lost Origins
- 6 Hardy's ‘Minute Way’ of Looking at Style and Idiom
- Conclusion: History in the Current Language
- Appendix 1 Hardy's Notable Standard Words in the OED
- Appendix 2 Hardy's Notable Dialect Words in Wright and the OED
- Appendix 3 <i>Hardy's</i> Studies, Specimens &c. <i>Notebook</i>
- Word Index
- Hardy's Literary Language and Victorian Philology
- Oxford University Press
British Academy Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.