- Title Pages
- I Introduction: Methodism and Education before 1859
- 2 The Ascendancy of Dr J. H. Rigg
- 3 The Wesleyans and the 1870 Education Act
- 4 The Wesleyan Church in the School Board Era, 1871–1875
- 5 The Wesleyans and the Sandon Education Act,1874–1876
- 6 The Wesleyan Educational Decline, 1877–1885
- 7 The Wesleyans and the Cross Commission, 1885–1891
- 8 The Free Education Issue, 1884–1891
- 9 Dr Rigg’s Last Years of Influence, 1892–1902
- 10 What Manner of Man was James Harrison Rigg?
- Appendix A Number of Wesleyan Schools and Scholars
- Appendix B Statistics of the Committee of Council on Education of Elementary Schools
- Appendix C Rate of Annual Grant per Scholar in Average Attendance
- Appendix D J. H. Rigg’s Placements
- Appendix E Presidents of the Methodist Conference
- Primary Sources
- Methodism and Education, 1849–1902
- Oxford University Press
British Academy Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.