All the buildings in this list were begun, and in most cases completed, before 1850 and include both Anglican and non-Anglican examples. The entry format is similar to that in Appendix B except that buildings are not categorized by liturgical type, since they do not vary in this respect, and there are no entries for the Isle of Man or Ireland. All entries include the date of the building and most give the name of the architect and, in the case of commissions financed by private individuals, that of the person who commissioned the design.
Section 1: English Shire Counties
301. Arley (St Mary)
1845 by Anthony Salvin for Richard Egerton-Warburton; original furnishings include elaborately tiled sanctuary with altar raised on three steps; N. aisle added 1856–7 by G. E. Street.
302. Warwick Bridge (Our Lady and St Wilfrid, Roman Catholic)
1840–1 by A. W N. Pugin; virtually complete original furnishings including altar hangings, and pulpit entered through wall from vestry; some later fittings do not detract from original design.
303. Sowton (St Michael)
1844–5 by Jonn Hayward; complete contemporary furnishings include painted altar table, font with tall cover, elaborate tiling and stained glass by Thomas Willement.
305. Fretherne (St Mary)
1846–7 by Francis Niblet for Tractarian rector, Revd Sir Lionel Darell; original (p.231) furnishings are complete and were not disturbed by addition of S. aisle with projecting chapels at E. and W. ends by J. W. Hugall in 1857–9.
306. Highnam (Holy Innocents)
1847–51 by Henry Woodyer for T. G Parry; complete original furnishings including elaborate scheme of internal decoration carried out by Parry himself.
307. Tetbury (St Saviour, CCT)
1848 by S. W. Daukes, see pp. 157–8.
308. Kilndown (Christ Church)
1839–45 by Anthony Salvin for A. J. Beresford Hope with fittings by R. C. Carpenter and William Butterfield, see p. 155.
309. Cheadle (St Giles, Roman Catholic)
1841–6 by A. W. N. Pugin for Earl of Shrewsbury; largely unaltered interior with pulpit entered through wall from vestry, original altar-pieces, rood screen, stained glass, and elaborate internal decoration.
310. Albury (Catholic Apostolic Church)
1840 by McIntosh Brooks, with advice from A. W. N. Pugin, for Henry Drummond, Irvingite ‘apostle’, see p. 156.
311. Wilmcote (St Andrew)
1841, possibly by William Butterfield who designed school and vicarage in c 1844–5; largely unaltered early ritualist church, in which vestments were first worn in 1849, with stone altar, pulpit entered through wall from vestry, and much original stencilling and stained glass.
312. Sackville College Chapel
17th-cent. chapel refitted for J. M. Neale, Warden of Sackville College 1846–66; important early Tractarian interior with screen, stalls, contemporary stained glass, and rich wall-coverings.
313. West Lavington (St Mary Magdalene)
1850 by William Butterfield for Archdeacon Manning; simple original fittings include low marble cancelli.
314. Cholderton (St Nicholas)
315. Leigh Delamere (St Margaret, CCT)
1846 by James Thompson for Joseph Neeld, MP for Chippenham; completely unaltered interior with elaborate organ case, stone almsbox, and reredos to full height of chancel E. wall.
Section 2: English Unitary Authorities
316. Yazor (St Mary, CCT)
1843–51 by George Moore for Uvedale Price of Mongewell with fittings by first rector, Dr R. L. Freer, see pp. 155–6 and Plate 20.
317. Leeds (St Peter)
1839–41 by R. D. Chantrell for W. F. Hook, vicar of Leeds 1835–59, see pp. 154–5; some later alterations but original furnishings of nave, aisles, and transepts largely complete.
318. Leeds (Mill Hill Chapel, Unitarian)
1847 by Bowman and Crowther of Manchester and modelled on Leeds parish church; separate chancel with pulpit to one side of chancel arch; some later alter ations.
Section 3: Scottish Unitary Authorities
320. Dalkeith (St Mary)
1843–7 by William Burn and David Bryce for Duke of Buccleuch; largely unaltered interior with pulpit entered through wall from vestry and altar complete with original cross and candlesticks; N. chapel, which is mausoleum to 5th Duke, added in 1890–2.
Section 4: Welsh Unitary Authorities
323. Llangorwen (All Saints)
1841 by H. J. Underwood for M. D. Williams of Cwmcynfelin with fittings given by J. H. Newman and John Keble, see p. 138.
324. Pentrobin (St John Baptist)
1843 by John Buckler for Sir Stephen Glynne of Hawarden, with lavish internal decoration carried out by J. E. Troughton, first curate-in-charge 1843–64; original pews and choir stalls, stone altar, and pulpit entered through wall from vestry; later organ and chancel screen.
325. Llangasty Talyllyn (St Gastayn)
1848–56 by J. L. Pearson for Robert Raikes of Treberfydd; complete original fittings include low cancelli, stencilling of roofs and walls, and stained glass by William Wailes.
Of the 25 entries in the above list 20 are Anglican, 2 Roman Catholic, 2 Unitarian, and 1 Catholic Apostolic.