- Title Pages
- List of Figures
- Note about Translations
- 1 Thinking an Image in Theory and History
- 2 ‘The Most Poetic Topic in the World’
- 3 ‘White Ophelia Floats Like a Great Lily’
- 4 The Dead Woman and the Modern City
- 5 ‘The City as a Magnified Ghost’
- 6 The Inconnue as Popular Icon
- 7 Man Ray and <i>Aurélien</i>
- 8 ‘Jellyfish at the Cinema …’
- 9 ‘Emanating as if from the Depths of a Tomb’
- The Drowned Muse
- Oxford University Press
British Academy Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.