- Title Pages
- List of Contributors
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Metaphor, Simile, and Allegory as Ornaments of Style
- 3 The Harlot's Art: Metaphor and Literary Criticism*
- 4 Plato on Metaphors and Models
- 5 Literary Metaphor and Philosophical Insight: The Significance of Archilochus*
- 6 The Problem of Metaphor: Chinese Reflections
- 7 Metaphor and Metonymy: Aristotle, Jakobson, Ricoeur, and Others*
- 8 Figures of Allegory from Homer to Latin Epic*
- 9 Allegory and Exegesis in the Derveni Papyrus: The Origin of Greek Scholarship
- 10 The Stoics' Two Types of Allegory*
- II The Rhetoric of the <i>Homeric Problems</i>
- 12 Origen on Christ, Tropology, and Exegesis*
- Index of Passages Cited
- General Index
- Metaphor, Allegory, and the Classical Tradition
- Oxford University Press
British Academy Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.