- Title Pages
- List of Figures
- List of Tables
- 1 Prejudice and Misconceptions
- 2 Life and Career
- 3 The Grammar: Origin and Publication History
- 4 The Grammar: Contents and Approach
- 5 Reconstructing Lowth's Social Network
- 6 Communicative Competence and the Language of the Letters
- 7 Lowth's Own Usage and the Grammar's Norm of Correctness
- 8 The Grammar and the Rise of Prescriptivism
- 9 Conclusion
- Appendix 1 Sources of Lowth's Correspondence
- Appendix 2 Lowth's Correspondents
- Appendix 3 presentation copies of <i>isaiah</i>
- The Bishop's Grammar
- Oxford University Press
British Academy Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.