- Title Pages
- For my parents
- Chapter 1 ‘[T]aking up Plots upon Trust’:1 Titus Oates, Roger L’Estrange, and Popular Polemic
- Chapter 2 ‘[W]ill you have your Throats cut ere you will believe?’:1 Popish Plot(s)
- Chapter 3 ‘Tis the Press that has made ‘um Mad’:1 Publishing the Popish Plot and Exclusion Crisis
- Chapter 4 ‘A Popish priest is a certain seducer’:1 Catholics and Anti-Catholicism
- Chapter 5 ‘Hell, and Rome…have long been confederate against us’:1 Jesuits and Protestantism
- Chapter 6 ‘The Subduing of a Pestilent Heresy’:1 Edward Coleman’s Letters
- Chapter 7 ‘A Matter too hot…to be Handled’:1 The Death of Edmund Berry Godfrey
- Chapter 8 ‘A Few Words among Many, about the Touchy Point of Succession’:1 The Duke of York and the Exclusion Crisis
- Chapter 9 ‘Have a Care of perverted Authorities’:1 Parliament, Partisanship, and the Earl of Shaftesbury
- Chapter 10 ‘After-Birth-Inscriptions’:1 Historical Disputes and the Great Fire of London
- Appendix 1 Chronology of the main events mentioned in the text between August 1678 and June 1679
- Appendix 2 The Organization of the English Province of the Society of Jesus (1678–85)*
- Appendix 3 The Test Acts*
- Appendix 4
- Appendix 5 The Oath to be sworn by subscribers to the Protestant ‘Association’*
British Academy Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.