- Title Pages
- 1 Meaning, Essence, and Necessity
- 2 Posterior Analytics B.8–10: The Three‐Stage View
- 3 Preparation for the Three‐Stage View
- 4 The Signification of Names
- 5 Signification and Thought
- 6 Understanding, Thought, and Meaning
- 7 Definition and Demonstration: The Difficulties Raised in <i>Posterior Analytics Β</i>.3–7
- 8 Demonstration and Definition: Aristotle's Positive Views in <i>Posterior Analytics</i> Β.8–10 and Β.16–18
- 9 Towards a Unified Theory of Definition: <i>Posterior Analytics</i> Β.13–15
- 10 Explanation and Definition: The Basic Model Reconsidered and Refined
- 11 Substance, Definition, and Essence
- 12 Biology, Classification, and Essence
- 13 Aristotle's Essentialism
- Appendix 1
- Appendix 2 Essence, Necessity, and the Copula
- Index Locorum
- General Index
- Index Nominum
- Aristotle on Meaning and Essence
- Oxford University Press
British Academy Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.