- Title Pages
- List of Figures and Tables
- Notes on Contributors
- List of Abbreviations
- 1 Setting the Scene: A Brief Outline of Histories of Israel
- 2 Setting the Scene: a Response to John Rogerson
- 3 The History of Ancient Israel: What Directions Should we Take?
- 4 Biblical Israel in the Ninth Century?
- 5 Some Recent Issues in the Study of the History of Israel
- 6 Classical History: a Sketch, with Three Artifacts
- 7 Early Islamic History: Parallels and Problems
- 8 Ancient Near Eastern History: the Case of Cyrus the Great of Persia
- 9 Archaeology of the Biblical Period: On Some Questions of Methodology and Chronology of the Iron Age
- 10 The Spade and the Text: The Interaction between Archaeology and Israelite History Relating to the Tenth-Ninth Centuries BCE
- 11 Neither Eyewitnesses, Nor Windows to the Past, but Valuable Testimony in its Own Right: Remarks on Iconography, Source Criticism and Ancient Data-processing
- 12 Akkadian Sources of the Ninth Century
- 13 Neo-Assyrian and Israelite History in the Ninth Century: the Role of Shalmaneser III
- 14 West Semitic Inscriptions and Ninth-Century BCE Ancient Israel
- 15 Method in the Application of Biblical Source Material to Historical Writing (with Particular Reference to the Ninth Century BCE)
- 16 Reading Kings on the Divided Monarchy: What Sort of Narrative?
- 17 Social History of Ancient Israel
- 18 Law in the Ninth Century: Jehoshaphat’s ‘Judicial Reform’
- 19 The Northern Kingdom in the Late Tenth-Ninth Centuries BCE
- Understanding the History of Ancient Israel
- British Academy
British Academy Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.