- Title Pages
- A British Academy Monograph
- Figures, Maps and Tables
- Chapter 1 The Cult of Nidrā-Kālarātri, Goddess of Sleep, Swoon, Death and the Night (<i>c</i>. 3rd to 5th Century)
- Chapter 2 Caṇḍikā, Pārvatī’s Unwanted Self (<i>c</i>. 5th to 7th Century)
- Chapter 3 Taking over Skanda (<i>c</i>. 6th to 7th Century)
- Chapter 4 Patronage, the Civilizational Process and the Spread of Heroic Śāktism (<i>c</i>. 7th to 11th Century)
- Chapter 5 The Regional Cults of Goddesses Merged with Durgā
- Chapter 6 Heroic Śāktism and the Myths of Civilization
- Chapter 7 Navarātra: The Festival of the Nine Nights
- Conclusion Durgā and the Making of Early Indian Civilization
- Heroic Shāktism
- British Academy
British Academy Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.